Emma D’Arcy is an actor and theatre-maker based in London. She is the Joint Artistic Director of Forward Arena Theatre Company.
Emma’s stage credits include The Games We Played and Clickbait at Theatre503, A Girl in a School Uniform (Walks into a Bar) at the Hub and at the West Yorkshire Playhouse, and Children and Animals at the Edinburgh Fringe.
She recently performed at the Arcola Theatre, reprising her roles in the London transfer of Callisto: A Queer Epic and before that she appeared in A Girl in School Uniform (Walks into a Bar), for it’s second run at the West Yorkshire Playhouse.
Emma recently finished performing in Ian Rickson’s Against, alongside Ben Whishaw, at the Almeida Theatre.
Reviews in for 'Against'
First wave of reviews are in Christopher Shinn’s new play Against, directed by Ian Rickson at the Almeida Theatre.
The press on Emma and Against:
- “Emma D’Arcy’s nuanced performance as Anna, one of Luke’s vulnerable disciples, makes it hard to believe she is a new name in theatre.” 4 stars, Kate Kellaway, The Observer
- “What makes it worth sticking with…are the performances…from a cast who often play multiple roles with conviction and passion.” Sarah Crompton, What’s On Stage
- “[Whishaw’s] quiet energy is well supported by the rest of a large ensemble cast…lots of praise to…Emma D’Arcy…some marvellous moments of wry humour and acute emotional insight. It’s one of the best examples of new writing at present on the London stage.” Aleks Sierz, The Arts Desk
- “A fantastic and fascinating ensemble elevates the script…excellent work, too, from…Emma D’Arcy” Tim Bano, The Stage
- “An excellent cast fills in the blanks of Shinn’s characters…Emma D’Arcy is superb as the awkward college student deeply affected by Luke” Marianka Swain, Broadway World
- “There are plenty of amusing digressions, especially satirical interludes featuring idealistic college student Anna (Emma D’Arcy) having tense tutorial sessions with her narcissistic, painfully PC creative-writing teacher” Leslie Felperin, Hollywood Reporter
Emma D'Arcy rehearsing for 'Against'
Emma D’Arcy joins the cast of Ian Rickson’s Against.
Emma will play a supporting role in the production, at the Almeida, from the 12th of August to the 30th of September.
'A Girl In School Uniform (Walks into a Bar)'
Following successful runs at the Leeds Hub and West Yorkshire Playhouse, A Girl in School Uniform (Walks into a Bar), returns to the West Yorkshire Playhouse for a limited run in April 2017.
'Too Much Love'
Emma D’Arcy stars as the lead in music video Too Much Love for Domino records’s Little Cub. The video, directed by Lily Rose Thomas, can be seen here.
'Callisto: A Queer Epic' transfers to London
Following a successful run at Edinburgh Fringe 2016, Callisto: A Queer Epic transfers to the Arcola Theatre for a week-long run.
Emma D'Arcy in 'A Girl in School Uniform (Walks into a Bar)'
Emma D’Arcy will star in A Girl In School Uniform (Walks into a Bar) at the Hub in Leeds and then at the West Yorkshire Playhouse this September.
Reviews for 'Callisto: A Queer Epic'
Emma D’Arcy stars in Callisto: A Queer Epic, at Edinburgh Fringe 2016.
The press on Emma and Callisto:
- “ingenue Tammy, played charmingly by Emma D’Arcy…” 4 stars, Louise Jones, Broadway Baby
- “Eight actors play multiple parts and personalities that cross every boundary imaginable, and each does so with great skill and sensitivity…[an] exceptional cast with an eye toward invention, pushing boundaries, and tugging heartstrings.” 5 stars, Theatre Eddys
- “The acting from Forward Arena is magnificent.” 5 Stars, Zander Bruce, Scots Gay
- “The performances…were uniformly brilliant” Gemma Scott, ThreeWeeks
- “The cast tackle it with confidence”, Sally Stott, The Scotsman
- “sharp, slick, precise” 4 Stars, Alexander Hartley, Theatre Bubble
- “despite the serious subject matter, the cast are able to inject some levity, making this a stellar performance.” The Broad UK
Reviews for Emma D'Arcy in 'Clickbait'
Emma D’Arcy played Kat in Milly Thomas’ Clickbait, directed by Holly Race-Roughan.
The production ran at Theatre503 from 19th January – 13th February 2016.
The press on Emma in Clickbait:
Emma D'Arcy praised for performance in 'Pillowman'
Emma D’Arcy played Michael in Martin McDonagh’s Pillowman, directed by Thomas Bailey, at the Oxford Playhouse.
The production received glowing reviews, with Emma singled out for particular praise in several publications.
The press on Emma in Pillowman:
- “The show’s finest performance comes from D’Arcy…whose writhing, fidgeting, drooling, shrieking portrayal of Michal is simultaneously endearing, amusing and incredibly annoying. It takes real skill to not present a mentally disabled character in a clichéd, arguably offensive way, and D’Arcy deserves enormous credit for her ability to steer clear of this trap without leaving Michal’s fundamental characteristics behind.” – Fergus Morgan, Reviews Hub
- “Emma D’Arcy’s performance was nothing short of virtuosic.” William Aslet, Oxford Student
- “the acting…is first-rate throughout. Bowman and D’Arcy’s long scene charting the explosive, changing relationship between the brothers is riveting” Giles Woodforde, Oxford Times
- “Emma D’Arcy’s performance as Michal is a masterclass in physical and verbal control” Benedict Morrison, The Oxonian Review
- “D’Arcy’s performance is troubling and uncomfortable to watch, but the audience is compelled to keep watching. Michal’s dark nature and playful sense of humour offset each other throughout, and D’Arcy treads that line skilfully.” Stage Talk Magazine