Emma D’Arcy is an actor and theatre-maker based in London. She is the Joint Artistic Director of Forward Arena Theatre Company.
Emma’s stage credits include The Games We Played and Clickbait at Theatre503, A Girl in a School Uniform (Walks into a Bar) at the Hub and at the West Yorkshire Playhouse and Callisto: A Queer Epic and Children and Animals at the Edinburgh Fringe.
She recently performed at the Arcola Theatre, reprising her roles in the London transfer of Callisto: A Queer Epic and has just finished in A Girl in School Uniform (Walks into a Bar), for it’s second run at the West Yorkshire Playhouse.
'A Girl In School Uniform (Walks into a Bar)'
Following successful runs at the Leeds Hub and West Yorkshire Playhouse, A Girl in School Uniform (Walks into a Bar), returns to the West Yorkshire Playhouse for a limited run in April 2017.
'Too Much Love'
Emma D’Arcy stars as the lead in music video Too Much Love for Domino records’s Little Cub. The video, directed by Lily Rose Thomas, can be seen here.
'Callisto: A Queer Epic' transfers to London
Following a successful run at Edinburgh Fringe 2016, Callisto: A Queer Epic transfers to the Arcola Theatre for a week-long run.
Emma D'Arcy in 'A Girl in School Uniform (Walks into a Bar)'
Emma D’Arcy will star in A Girl In School Uniform (Walks into a Bar) at the Hub in Leeds and then at the West Yorkshire Playhouse this September.
Reviews for 'Callisto: A Queer Epic'
Emma D’Arcy stars in Callisto: A Queer Epic, at Edinburgh Fringe 2016.
The press on Emma and Callisto:
- “ingenue Tammy, played charmingly by Emma D’Arcy…” 4 stars, Louise Jones, Broadway Baby
- “Eight actors play multiple parts and personalities that cross every boundary imaginable, and each does so with great skill and sensitivity…[an] exceptional cast with an eye toward invention, pushing boundaries, and tugging heartstrings.” 5 stars, Theatre Eddys
- “The acting from Forward Arena is magnificent.” 5 Stars, Zander Bruce, Scots Gay
- “The performances…were uniformly brilliant” Gemma Scott, ThreeWeeks
- “The cast tackle it with confidence”, Sally Stott, The Scotsman
- “sharp, slick, precise” 4 Stars, Alexander Hartley, Theatre Bubble
- “despite the serious subject matter, the cast are able to inject some levity, making this a stellar performance.” The Broad UK
Reviews for Emma D'Arcy in 'Clickbait'
Emma D’Arcy played Kat in Milly Thomas’ Clickbait, directed by Holly Race-Roughan.
The production ran at Theatre503 from 19th January – 13th February 2016.
The press on Emma in Clickbait:
Emma D'Arcy praised for performance in 'Pillowman'
Emma D’Arcy played Michael in Martin McDonagh’s Pillowman, directed by Thomas Bailey, at the Oxford Playhouse.
The production received glowing reviews, with Emma singled out for particular praise in several publications.
The press on Emma in Pillowman:
- “The show’s finest performance comes from D’Arcy…whose writhing, fidgeting, drooling, shrieking portrayal of Michal is simultaneously endearing, amusing and incredibly annoying. It takes real skill to not present a mentally disabled character in a clichéd, arguably offensive way, and D’Arcy deserves enormous credit for her ability to steer clear of this trap without leaving Michal’s fundamental characteristics behind.” – Fergus Morgan, Reviews Hub
- “Emma D’Arcy’s performance was nothing short of virtuosic.” William Aslet, Oxford Student
- “the acting…is first-rate throughout. Bowman and D’Arcy’s long scene charting the explosive, changing relationship between the brothers is riveting” Giles Woodforde, Oxford Times
- “Emma D’Arcy’s performance as Michal is a masterclass in physical and verbal control” Benedict Morrison, The Oxonian Review
- “D’Arcy’s performance is troubling and uncomfortable to watch, but the audience is compelled to keep watching. Michal’s dark nature and playful sense of humour offset each other throughout, and D’Arcy treads that line skilfully.” Stage Talk Magazine